I have been asked a few times “Avengers was good, what else should I watch?” or “What should I watch before Agents of SHIELD?“. Of course, the answers for these can vary a bit depending on the source of the query. Peoples personal preferences being what they are.
Anyway, as a result of some of these sorts of queries, I have spent a few moments putting together a somewhat canonical list of what I consider a reasonable order in which to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe up to now (between the end of Agents of SHIELD season 2, part 1 and the premiere of Agent Carter). Surely I will have some reason to update this list in the near future.
I try to minimise disc changes, but put everything in the correct continuity. The most radical change from the order of release is moving Captain America The First Avenger first, but I think it works at least equally well there and helps inform Iron Man 2, in particular. I have also tried to reduce unnecessary disc changes. Oh, and I have included the Marvel One Shot short films which flesh out some bits and pieces and/or have some cool stuff along the way, I also note which disc you can find them on.
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Iron Man
- The Incredible Hulk
- Iron Man 2
- Marvel One Shot: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way to Thor’s Hammer (on Captain America: The First Avenger BluRay/DVD)
- Marvel One Shot: The Consultant (on Thor BluRay/DVD)
- The Avengers
- Marvel One Shot: Item 47 (on The Avengers BluRay/DVD)
- Iron Man 3
- Marvel One Shot: Agent Carter (on Iron Man 3 BluRay/DVD)
- Agents of SHIELD Season 1 Episodes 1-7
- Thor: The Dark World
- Marvel One Shot: All Hail The King (on Thor:The Dark World BluRay/DVD)
- Agents of SHIELD Season 1 Episodes 8-16
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Agents of SHIELD Season 1 Episodes 17-22
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Agents of SHIELD Season 2 Episodes 1-10